The cathedral is built on the site of the old church of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios. The building of this church began in 1515 where there had originally been a small chapel, built in 1511. It became a cathedral in 1819, with the appointment of a Bishop of Tenerife (the Nivariense Diocese) by papal decree of Pope Pius VII. In 1897, the building was declared a ruin and ordered to be demolished. However the neo-classical façade built in 1820 and based on the design of Pamplona Cathedral by the architect Ventura Rodríquez, was left standing.
The current building was inaugurated in 1913. It is built in a neo-gothic style, with ribbed vaults, following the plans drawn up by the engineer Rodrigo de Villabriga who managed to preserve the main facade.
The cathedral houses an interesting patrimony. In the main chapel there is a tabernacle that was created in 1795 by the sculptor José Luján Pérez from Gran Canaria and has an anonymous carving (16th century) of Christ on the Cross called "el Cristo de los Remedios". Another highlight is the large baroque altarpiece, "Los Remedios," dating from the first half of the 18th century. There are also a total of seven panels thought to be the work of Hendrick Van Balen, Van Dyck's master. According to the hypothesis of Matias Diaz Padron, the curator of Flemish painting at the Prado Museum, these panels belong to the Mazuelos Panels from Flanders commissioned by Pedro Afonso Mazuelos in 1597.
Another panel of importance is the neo-classical " Señor de La Columna." Other notable features are a splendid marble pulpit, the work of Genovese sculptor Pascuale Bocciardo (1762); a large canvas on the subject of "Las Ánimas del Purgatorio" (the Souls in Purgatory) by the Canarian painter Cristóbal Hernández de Quintana (1651-1725) and " la Santa Cena" (the Last Supper) painted by Juan de Miranda.
Among the most outstanding carvings are the Virgen de los Remedios, in polychrome wood, from the early 16th century and probably one of the first works of religious art carried out in Tenerife; Christ tied to the Column (Genovese School 18th century); Nuestra Señora de los Dolores, by the Spanish sculptor, Carmona, 18th century; and a statue of Christ by Fernando Estévez, a sculptor from Tenerife. Finally, there is a beautiful statue of Nuestra Señora de La Luz, one of the best works the cathedral possesses. It seems that it was created by the master Juan Bautista Vázquez el Viejo, founder of the 16th century Sevillian School, and it is kept in the cathedral museum.
The cathedral also has neo-classical choir stalls, work carried out by the master Domingo Pérez; a large monstrance (the vessel used by the Roman Catholic Church to display the Eucharist, during Adoration) worked in silver gilt in a rococo style; a portable platform embossed in silver for Corpus Christi processions; a large number of gold and silver articles from the Cordobese, Canarian and South American Schools and an important collection of holy ornaments.