It was erected over the former church of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, the construction of which began in 1515. The building became a cathedral in 1819 when the Bishopric of Tenerife was created thanks to a papal bull by Pius VII. However, by 1897 the building was in ruins and was eventually demolished, leaving only the Neoclassical frontpiece that was built in 1820 following the plans used for the cathedral in Pamplona, which was designed by the architect Ventura Rodríguez.
The building we see today was opened in 1913. It is Neo-Gothic in style, with ribbed vaults designed by the engineer Rodrigo de Villabriga, who left the main façade exactly as it had been originally. The cathedral contains an interesting array of heritage: the main chapel features a tabernacle that was made in 1795 by the sculptor from Gran Canaria José Luján Pérez, which is finished with an anonymous 16th century figure of Jesus on the cross known as El Cristo de los Remedios.
Also worthy of note is the large Baroque altarpiece of Los Remedios dating from the mid 18th century, featuring a wonderful series of seven panel paintings which are believed to be the work of Hendrick Van Balen, the master of Van Dyck, according to a hypothesis upheld by the preserver of Flamenco art at the Prado Museum, Matias Díaz Padrón. These panels belonged to the altarpiece of Mazuelos and were commissioned from Flanders by Pedro Alfonso Mazuelos in 1597. Another important altarpiece is known as El Señor de la Columna, which is Neoclassical in style.
We might also mention the fabulous pulpit made of Carrara marble by the Genoese sculptor Pascuale Bocciardo (1762); a huge canvas entitled Souls in Purgatory by the Canarian painter Cristóbal Hernández de Quintana (1651-1725); and La Santa Cena (the Holy Supper) by Juan de Miranda. Other noteworthy works include: La Virgen de los Remedios, made of polychrome wood from the early 16th century, possibly the first piece of sacred artwork in Tenerife; Cristo Atado a la Columna (Genoese School, 18th century); and Nuestra Señora de los Dolores by the Spanish sculptor Carmona from the 18th century.
Adding to this heritage is a statue of Christ by Tenerife's sculptor Fernando Estévez, and a beautiful figure of Nuestra Señora de La Luz, the finest sculpture in the cathedral seemingly made by the master Juan Bautista Vázquez el Viejo, who founded the Sevillian School in the 16th century. This image is kept in the Cathedral Museum.
The cathedral also boasts a 19th century Neoclassical choir stand by the master Domingo Pérez; a large rococo-style monstrance made of gold-plated silver; a procession platform of the Corpus Christi in embossed silver; a great many pieces made of precious metals from the Cordobese, Canarian and American schools, together with a significant collection of sacred ornaments.