Born in Puerto de la Cruz in 1776. In 1808, he was named royal mayor, and in 1815 he was appointed Chamber Painter for King Ferdinand VII. Before travelling to mainland Spain, his work consisted largely of portraits in grey and black shades. After being named Chamber Painter, his work changed significantly and he began to use a great range of colours to brighten the clothing of the characters in his paintings. The level of detail involved in his work led him to become famous thanks to his miniature portraits, which were all the rage at the time. The church of Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia, located in his birth town, houses a number of his works of art.