In 1833, the Canaries were considered a province of Spain, and the capital city was Santa Cruz de Tenerife, despite the fact that San Cristóbal de La Laguna had been named the first capital of the Island and that Las Palmas de Gran Canaria was also in the running. The fact that some of the archipelago's major military institutions were based in Santa Cruz de Tenerife and the influential power of politicians such as José Murphy and Meade were key aspects in appointing it the capital of the islands. In the mid 19th century, Santa Cruz de Tenerife became fully established as one of the most important ports in the Canaries, especially as a stepping stone between Europe and America, and a strategic stop for stocking up on supplies.
Nowadays, ever since 1927, the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands is divided into the provinces of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Las Palmas, who share the role of capital city. This new arrangement eased the rivalry that had stood between the two cities since 1833.