Mondays from 3 pm to 7.30 pm.
Tuesdays to Sundays from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm.
The basilica is the work of architect Enrique Marrero Regalado and was erected at the behest of the bishop of Tenerife, Domingo Pérez Cáceres, who was born in Güímar. With a regionalist aesthetic, the structure comprises three naves with a Mudejar-style ceiling and a cupola standing 25 m (82 ft) high to crown the transept. The central tower rises 45 m (150 ft) high and features a Canarian balcony. The main chapel houses a figure of the virgin of Candelaria, who was proclaimed the Patron Saint of the archipelago by Pope Clement VIII in 1599, which was ratified by Pope Pius IX in 1867. Inside there are murals by José Aguiar and paintings by Martín González; other works include the Cristo de la Reconciliación; a Baroque monstrance made in the Canary Islands in the 18th century; and a 16th century baptismal font of great historic value. 16th century. Although the liturgical festivity of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria takes place on 2 February, her appearance is celebrated on 15 August. That is the date when people from all over the Island set out towards the basilica on a pilgrimage. Beside the basilica is the pilgrim's fountain. Adjacent to the basilica is the Dominican monastery that was built in 1803 after the earlier convent was reduced to ashes. The monastery is governed by Dominican monks who have been Candelaria's priests since 1530. Past the monastery is the Cave of Achbinico or San Blas, where the Guanches placed their figure of the Virgin. The cave has proven to be of great archaeological importance. Right by Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias stand the huge bronze statues of the nine Guanche "menceyes" (kings), created by Tenerife sculptor José Abad.