This convent by the basilica is home to the Dominican Fathers, the monks entrusted with watching over the Virgen de Candelaria since 1530. The building was erected fourteen years after the original convent went up in flames in the fire of 1789 and was severely damaged by the same mighty storm in which the original statue of the Virgin was lost. After the expropriation of religious properties ordered by Mendizábal, the monks were forced to leave the convent and it was used for years as a prison. In 1922, the Dominican Fathers were allowed to return and once again take care of the Virgen de Candelaria's shrine. The old chapel that the Virgin used to rest in is now an events hall and a small auditorium for sacred music concerts.