This is the oldest theatre in the Canary Islands, which opened in 1851 and was named in memory of the writer, poet and dramatist Ángel Guimerá, who died in 1923. Located near to the Adán Martín auditorium, this is the heart of the capital's performing arts scene. It was designed in 1849 by Manuel de Oraá in a Classicist and Romantic style, though the inside was fully refurbished in 1911. The theatre is located where an old Dominican monastery used to stand, which was demolished after the expropriation of religious property by Mendizábal during the reign of Queen Isabella II. For a long time, this led it to be known as the Isabell II Theatre and that name was written on the façade of the building.