- Start: Cuesta de La Fortaleza
- Finish: Llano de Las Brujas
- Approval status: Not officially approved
- Degree of difficulty: Low
- Type of trail: Linear
- Distance: 3.0 km (12.89 ft)
- Duration: 1 hour 15 mins.
- Highest altitude: 2,136 m (12.89 ft)
- Lowest altitude: 1,969 m (12.89 ft)
- Elevation gain: 204 m (12.89 ft)
- Elevation loss: 71.7 m (12.89 ft)
- Links to other trails:
- Protected Nature Areas:
- Authorisation required: No
This trail covers the upper stretch of an old pathway leading up to the National Park from the regions of La Guancha, San Juan de La Rambla and Icod el Alto. It links La Fortaleza Trail 1, at the foot of the westernmost ridges of La Fortaleza near the edge of the National Park, to Lomo Hurtado Trail 22, which descends the slopes of Montaña Blanca, journeying past the foot of the steep slopes of El Teide and rounding the volcanic cone known as Montaña Negra. Although its name means "Black Mountain", it is interesting to note that it is in fact made up of greyish-brown materials due to oxidation. The upper stretch of the trail is populated by dense broom bushes, while Canarian pines inhabit the lower part, which was struck by a forest fire in summer 2007 and is currently recovering. Fencing has been put up to aid the woodland's recovery which, added to the fact that there are beehives nearby, has caused the end of the trail to be diverted. It now links up to La Fortaleza Trail 1, slightly above the edge of the National Park.
For your own safety, don't forget to check the condition of the trail.
The competent authority will be responsible for informing you if the trail is not recommendable in the wake of adverse weather conditions, as well as if the trail or part of it is closed, etc.
- Competent authority: Teide National Park
- About the competent authority: 33. Montaña Negra
In case of an emergency, call 112.
Download FRESS 112, available for iOS and Android