Episcopal Palace or Casa Salazar

A historic monument in Santa Cruz-La Laguna

On 23 January 2006, the house went up in flames during a terrible fire which reduced the invaluable artistic heritage stored inside to ashes. This mansion was the palace in which the counts of Valle de Salazar resided, who ordered its construction in 1664. The façade was designed by Juan González de Castro Illada and was raised in 1681 by the master stonemasons Juan Lizcano and Andrés Rodríguez Bello.  

Its sober and beautifully balanced arrangement in the Baroque style makes many consider this façade to be the finest display of civil architecture in the archipelago.

Before it was acquired in the 19th century as the seat for Tenerife's bishopric and to house the Curia offices, it was used to run the El Porvenir Casino, and its piano was used by Teobaldo Power to compose many of his famous Cantos Canarios (Canarian Songs).

Inside, all around the patio lined with columns holding up the veranda, are a number of important works of art, with pieces by the painters Francisco Bonnin, José Aguiar, Mariano de Cossio, Manuel López Ruiz and Martín González, as well as sculptures including busts of the bishops Rey Redondo and Fray Albino by Mariano Benlliure.

Address
Episcopal Palace or Casa Salazar
C/ San Agustín 28, 38201 San Cristóbal De La Laguna