Located in Plaza de España, the Island's Council Building is one of the most important edifices in Santa Cruz. The design is the work of the architect José Enrique Marrero Regalado and its construction began in 1935. The Council's clock tower is one of the city's most recognisable landmarks. Its walls are lined with a wonderful collection of artwork, particularly notable are the murals adorning the Noble Hall, which were painted in 1960 by José Aguiar and declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in the Canary Islands in 2011. These murals depict different moments in the history of Tenerife and some of its traditions, as well as portraying the wealth of the land and the formation of the islands.