In 1701 a centre for higher studies of the Augustine religious order was founded in Tenerife, in the city of La Laguna. Although it was not until 1816 after various unsuccessful attempts that the first University of the Canary Islands was officially established. It was called San Fernando and located in the college of the Company of Jesus of La Laguna. It first opened its doors as an academic institution on the 12th January 1817. Today, the University of La Laguna continues to educate thousands of students in all kinds of university studies (it offers over 50 different degree subjects) and maintains an active and influential presence in social and cultural circles in Tenerife.