El Socorro Beach, Güímar
This beach is divided into two distinct areas. The smaller area closest to the town is more family friendly, with calm waters for a leisurely swim. The larger part is more open to the ocean and has stronger waves.
Surfers flock to this beach at certain times of year thanks to its generally good waves.
We recommend you try and make it for the celebrations in honour of the Virgen del Socorro, when thousands of people set out on a pilgrimage from the nearby town of Güímar to the chapel on the beach where they take out the virgin who rests there and carry her on their shoulders in a parade. This is one of the oldest pilgrimages on the Island and it is an impressive event.
- Location: Güímar.
- Length: 1,010 m (3,315 ft).
- Width: 15 m (50 ft).
- Composition: Shingle and pebbles.
- Means of access: On foot or by car.
- Disabled access: No.
- Type of beach: Semi-urban.
- Amenities: Waste bins, food and drinks service.
- Parking facilities: No.
- Bus service: Yes (inter-city).
- Coordinates: 28° 19' 34.41'' N 16° 21' 46.38'' W.
- UTM coordinates: X: 366 396.50 Y: 3 134 095.01 H: 28