The Chapel of San Antonio Abad
This is one of Tenerife's oldest chapels, housing a figure of San Antonio which is believed to have been the first to reach the Island after the conquest. The chapel was built under orders by the first clerk of La Laguna and of Tenerife's Council, Antón Vallejo, who had promised to build the chapel here if he survived the battle in La Matanza. The refurbishment and extension work in 1881 and 1982 left the chapel looking as it does today. One of the Island's most traditional pilgrimages is devoted to San Antonio Abad and starts at this chapel.