The Castle of San Cistóbal
This was the first major fortress to be built on the island of Tenerife and its location protects the bay of Santa Cruz from attacks from the sea. Currently, only some parts of the original wall still stand and they can be seen through an underground gallery beneath Plaza de España. Calle del Castillo (Castle Street) gets its name from this fort, which began to be built in 1575 and had a square base, with large stone blocks at the foot of the walls and masonry at the top. It was knocked down in 1928 to extend the city towards the sea and build Plaza de España over it.