The Mother Church of La Concepción
The parish mother church of Nuestra Señora de La Concepción is the main Catholic church in the city and it was built where a chapel used to stand that was erected by the conquerors of Santa Cruz. The tower was raised in 1786 and is one of the most easily recognisable landmarks in the old quarter. Because of the extension work carried out over the years, it is the only church with five naves on the entire archipelago and a fine example of Canarian Baroque architecture. Among its treasures is the wooden cross borne by the Adelantado Alfonso Fernández de Lugo when he first stepped onto Tenerife's shores, the chapel of Familia Carta dating from 1740 and the figures of Nuestro Padre Jesús Cautivo and María Santísima de la Esperanza Macarena, both of which are the object of fervent worship in the city.