NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA CANDELARIA BASILICA - Places of interest - Tenerife

Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Basilica

Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Basilica
Añadir al cuaderno de viajeEliminar del cuaderno de viaje
cerrar
Send page by mail
In the late 14th century, about 100 years before the conquest of Tenerife, a Gothic style sculpture of the Virgin of Candelaria was washed up on the shores of the Güímar valley, who the Guanche people worshipped under the name of Chaxiraxi. As from the year 1526, the figure was kept in the shrine that was built under the orders of the second governor Pedro Fernández de Lugo. This somewhat primitive figure disappeared as a result of the flood in 1826, so the current figure was made by Tenerife's Fernando Estévez in 1827

The basilica is the work of architect Enrique Marrero Regalado and was erected at the behest of the bishop of Tenerife, Domingo Pérez Cáceres, who was born in Güímar. With a regionalist aesthetic, the structure comprises three naves with a Mudejar-style ceiling and a cupola standing 25 m (82 ft) high to crown the transept. The central tower rises 45 m (150 ft) high and features a Canarian balcony. The main chapel houses a figure of the virgin of Candelaria, who was proclaimed the Patron Saint of the archipelago by Pope Clement VIII in 1599, which was ratified by Pope Pius IX in 1867. Inside there are murals by José Aguiar and paintings by Martín González; other works include the Cristo de la Reconciliación; a Baroque monstrance made in the Canary Islands in the 18th century; and a 16th century baptismal font of great historic value. 16th century. Although the liturgical festivity of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria takes place on 2 February, her appearance is celebrated on 15 August. That is the date when people from all over the Island set out towards the basilica on a pilgrimage. Beside the basilica is the pilgrim's fountain. Adjacent to the basilica is the Dominican monastery that was built in 1803 after the earlier convent was reduced to ashes. The monastery is governed by Dominican monks who have been Candelaria's priests since 1530. Past the monastery is the Cave of Achbinico or San Blas, where the Guanches placed their figure of the Virgin. The cave has proven to be of great archaeological importance. Right by Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias stand the huge bronze statues of the nine Guanche "menceyes" (kings), created by Tenerife sculptor José Abad.

Other details
Visiting times:
Mondays from 3 pm to 7.30 pm.
Tuesdays to Sundays from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm.

cerrar
How to get to:

Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Basilica

Plaza Patrona de Canarias 38530 Candelaria

Open in Google Maps
Contact

Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Basilica

Plaza Patrona de Canarias 38530 Candelaria