The Ruins of Lo de Ramos and La Granja
The Augustinian monks built a house in the area of “Lo de Ramos” to use as their chapel, with a cellar, house, well and ovens. The house was bought in the 19th century by the military man and politician Domingo García Torres, but it was left in ruins after a fire caused by his enemies. It is curious to note that the lava from the eruption of the Las Arenas volcano in 1705 narrowly missed the house, as it forked just before reaching it.
The Dominican monks also had properties in Arafo up until the mid 19th century, such as the estates of “La Granja” and “La Hermosa”. The ruins in “La Granja”, located near Monte de los Frailes, include the remains of a chapel, a kitchen, bedrooms, a patio, a tower, a distillery and a threshing floor. The property was then turned into a huge winery and wine cellar.