Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias
This open square by the Basilica of Candelaria is where most of Villa de Candelaria's celebrations and major events take place. Alfredo Reyes Darias produced the artistic work that adorns the square, including the Fuente de los Peregrinos fountain by the main entrance to the basilica and the first stone sculptures of the Guanches that now stand on Avenida de los Menceyes after they were replaced in 1993. These statues represent the aboriginal kings who reigned each of the nine kingdoms that the Island was divided into until the Spanish conquistadors arrived in 1496. Among the interesting facts relating to the square, we might mention that the fountain was funded by donations from Tenerife's women as a sign of devotion to their Virgin, and that the current bronze statues of the Menceys were made by José Abad.