The Parish Church of San Marcos
Legend has it that a statue of San Marcos Evagelista was found on the beach one day with his name on it, before the Spanish conquistadors reached the Island. Therefore, a small chapel was erected in his honour in 1500 and was soon extended to become a parish church. Today the church looks as it did after the refurbishment work it underwent in the 18th century. Inside, the church is adorned with images from workshops all over the world, such as the Cristo Naciente made of corn paste in Mexico, the statue of Santa Rosade Viterbo from the Sevilian school and the Gothic-style figure of San Marcos.